New research from Jobvite found that “Employees hired through referral are hired 55% faster than those who come from a career site.”
If you are frustrated searching job boards, sending résumés into black holes, and not getting responses from prospective employees, what I call “The Alumni Networking Solution” is for you.
I have personally used The Alumni Networking Solution to find leads and get interviews that lead to job offers.
What exactly is The Alumni Networking Solution?
The Alumni Networking Solution is a simple way to introduce yourself to college alumni and ask them for help with your job search. I used the 5 simple steps below to find a job in worst job market in history.
Does the Alumni Networking Solution actually work?
Of course it does! Below are just two of the many responses I received from my original LinkedIn message in one of the worst job markets in history.
The Alumni Networking Solution: 5 Simple Steps
The whole process will take less then 10 minutes! I did most of the work for you.
Alumni Networking Solution Step 1
Make sure you have your résumé and LinkedIn profile updated. If you need help updating them read this article: Two Things You Need Before Attending Networking Events.
Alumni Networking Solution Step 2
Join your college alumni group on LinkedIn.
- Change the search setting to groups instead of people.
- Type in the name of the college you attended and your alumni group should show up in the search results. Click on the group.
- Then hit join group.
- An email confirmation will be sent to you confirming your membership to the group.
Alumni Networking Solution Step 3
Create a simple introduction letter. To make this easy I created a template for you to follow below. All you have to do is customize the message and start sending it to members in your alumni group.
Subject Line: Quick Question
I Graduated from York College of Pennsylvania in 2008 with a degree in Public Relations and a minor in Marketing. I see that you work in public relations and was wondering if you would be willing chat on the phone.
I am seeking an entry level Public Relations opportunity at a dynamic organization where I can grow. I would love to hear more about what you do and any insights or advice you might have on breaking into the industry.
Your help would be extremely appreciated!
Alumni Networking Solution Step 4
Send you pitch letter to members in your alumni group.
- Click the members tab in the LinkedIn group to see who is in the group.
- You want to reach out to Alumni who work in the industry in which you want to get a job and Alumni who work in the location where you would like to work.
- As soon as you find a fit, send the alumni member the above pitch letter.
Alumni Networking Solution Step 5
Start setting up informational interviews, coffee dates, and responding to the messages alumni send you!
I want you to do three simple things.
- Use the LinkedIn Alumni Solution and send 5-10 customized LinkedIn message to your alumni. I guarantee you at least 2-3 people will respond willing to help you with your job search.
- Leave any questions below in the comments section. I am sure other people will benefit from the answers.
- Share this with any friends/young professionals you know who are struggling to find a job or internship. It will take you less then a minute and could really make a difference to their career success.
I want to hear your success stories! Please email me or leave a comment below with your results using what I call The Alumni Networking Solution.
[author image=”http://daily.undergradsuccess.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/John-Muscarello-Headshot.jpg” ]About the Author: John Muscarello is the founder of Start Networking Today, a website that teaches recent graduates and young professionals how to network and advance their career. John breaks down networking and career advancement techniques into simple actionable steps that anyone can use. Follow John on Twitter or subscribe to his blog to receive great networking advice.[/author]