When was the last time someone sent you an email that said,
“It was a pleasure meeting you at ABC Networking Event. It’s been a week since the event and I was wondering if you were going to send me more information about your company?
Following up with new contacts within 24-48 hours after a networking event will make you standout among the majority of networkers.
That is why I created a networking follow up email that you can use after networking events.
I made the mistake of not following up several times when I first started networking. I used to say to myself “I gave them my business card and told them a rock star career story. I am sure they will contact me.” As a result, no one ever contacted me.
It wasn’t until I started sending the networking follow up email below that I really started to see results.
Networking Event Follow Up Email
Subject Line: Nice Meeting You At The Social Media Marketing Conference
It was a pleasure meeting you last night at the Social Media Marketing Conference. I remember you said that your company is struggling to get started with social media. I thought you would find this article helpful: “How Any Company Can Get Started With Social Media.”
The company you work for is fascinating and I would like to learn a little more about the role you play at the company. There is a great coffee shop right by your office. Would you be able to break away for 15-20 minutes this Thursday at 2:00 PM? If not, I am also free all day Friday.
Have a wonderful day,
Notice I didn’t say:
- “My company specializes in helping companies get started with social media.”
- “Please find attached a PowerPoint presentation that shows how my company can get your company up and running on social media.”
- “I would love to meet with you and your boss and talk about how my company can increase your social media presence.”
The key to a follow up email after an industry conference or event is not to make it about making a sale.
- You want to build a relationship with the prospect before you ever start talking about doing business together.
- By sending a helpful article you are gaining that persons trust and you don’t have a sketchy motive.
Not following up after a networking event will guarantee that you will not get what you want. (Click to tweet)
I want you to do two simple things
- Leave a comment at the bottom of this post telling me how following up after a networking event has lead to something great.
- Bookmark this article so you can use the template above after you attend a networking event.
P.S. Don’t forget to share this article with your network. Everyone could always use great advice how to follow up after a networking even