If you’ve been unemployed recently, you’ll notice that the job hunt has changed drastically from what it used to be. You used to submit applications to job postings, sit home and wait for someone to call you for an interview. People don’t do this anymore. We’re still in a recession and unemployment rates are still high. Because of this, it’s likely that someone more qualified than you had applied to these open competitions anyway. If you’re sitting home waiting for the standard process to work, you’re going to be sitting there for a long time.
- What are the skills someone doing that job needs to have?
- What are that person’s daily tasks?
- What behavioural competencies are required for this position?
- What type of experience does that person need?
- What does this person’s career path look like?
- What is unique about you?
- Why do you stand out from the other candidates?
- Do you have accomplishments that other candidates may not have (i.e. awards, publications, relevant memberships, etc.)?