You go through a workshop or seminar where they plough through endless lists of websites and resources. Or you find yourself stuck on a blank browser window trying to recall that website you heard about, or locate that article you read.
Feeling overwhelmed is a big problem for whatever endeavor you partake in.
If you’re a job seeker, this feeling can multiply all the other negative feelings of frustration you might already have.
If you’re a career professional, you’re wondering how on earth you’re expected to keep up!
Although I can’t promise a complete relief for you, I can at least try to list out as many websites, articles and resources as I can, which I feel to be the most important for job seekers.
I update this list monthly, so bookmark it. Come back often. If you feel something is missing, tell me in the comments below.
Ok. Here goes.
Why is social media so important to finding a job these days?
- My own personal collection of Pinterest infographics of research on the current state of recruiting
- Jobvite’s 2014 Infographic on the social media realities of job search
- 45% of employers use social media to screen candidates, and that was back in 2009!
Personal Branding Help
- You Will be Googled, Are You Afraid?
- What Ben Carson Can Teach You About Building a Personal Brand
- Did the Dalai Lama say, “There is no I in your personal brand“?
- 2 Tricks to handling negative perceptions about yourself.
LinkedIn Job Search Tools and Information
- An updated top 10 list of my best LinkedIn advice articles
- LinkedIn’s most overused Buzzwords from 2013
- A LinkedIn Profile Grading tool
Mobile Job Search
- A list of the best mobile job search apps in 2014
- A list of the most innovative, social media enabled job boards
- List of job board alternatives for accelerating your job search
- How to guarantee you’re the first person responding to Craigslist job postings
Facebook in the Job Search
- An infographic on How People Use Facebook to Find Work
- My Forbes article on some practical techniques for using Facebook to find work
- Learn how Facebook’s Graph Search doubles your networking power
Twitter in the Job Search
- Read about the First Twitter Job Seeker, Hal Thomas
- Ever wonder How to Find Recruiters on Twitter?
- It’s only six steps to Turning Twitter into a Realtime Job Board
Personal Landing Pages and Online Reputation
- Pick from one of 9 options for your own personal landing page
- Find out what your Google Grade is with this free tool
- 2,000 people on LinkedIn share the same name as someone on the FBIs most wanted list!
Information for Career Professionals
- The Untold Ethics of Teaching (or not teaching) social media job search to College Students
- How my College Career Center saved my life
- Confessions of a Gen-X College Career Advisor (must read)
- 8 ways to increase career center foot traffic with Pinterest
Information for Students
- check out these 45 inspiring career blogs for college students
- 10 Ways to deal with social media after spring break!
- Read this brutally honest letter to graduating students about real life
Information for Veterans
Information for acquiring government jobs